Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Non-dairy puddin' for dear old Dad

Whatever your flavor of choice, chocolate or vanilla, this is the recipe for you.  I liken it to America's constitutional great compromise, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.  So the following recipe is a vanilla tea infused soy milk and tofu chocolate pudding.  It has no added sugar, just that in the semisweet chocolate, and is pumped with protein.  Oh, and did I mention it is dairy-free...this one's for dear old Dad.  By the way...this is a recipe I adapted from 101cookbooks.com (which is an unbelievably awesome site...really long hyperlink).  The original recipe called for green tea, but I was feeling some vanilla, so ahh here it goes (bonus points for the pop cultural reference).

Ingredients
1 Cup chocolate soy milk
1 Tablespoon loose vanilla tea leaves
10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
13 ounces silken tofu
On the low side of 1/4 cup of extra firm tofu (the recipe called for soft tofu, but Whole Foods was out)
1/2 Tablespoon of vanilla paste (a drop of vanilla paste)


Instructions
Pour chocolate soy milk and tea leaves into a bowl and bring to a boil.  Let it cool.  Melt chocolate chips in microwave (3 minutes).  Combine soy milk mixture, chocolate chips and tofu into a bowl.  Add vanilla paste.  Mix in food processor until silky smooth consistency.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Verdict

So it was a bit heavy in the chocolate flavor, and a little bitter.  Good "moosey" consistency, and I quite liked it when I added a few packs of splenda.

Music:  The Beets - Killer Tofu

No comments: