Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Great Grandma's Rhubarb Bread...or Something Like it


I was walking around the market and I found, to my pleasant surprise,  that rhubarb is officially in season...I know, it's an exciting time of year.  So, I ventured into my kitchen shelves and discovered a recipe for rhubarb bread that I am told my Great Grandmother made all the time.  I went to work, modifying the recipe a bit, but it was Nanny Miriam's at heart, and it turned out great.

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cup Rhubarb
1 Cup Sliced Strawberries
1/2 Cup Crushed Walnuts
1 Cup Milk
Teaspoons Vanilla Paste
Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Pear Sauce*
1/3 Cup Canola*
1 Egg
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Flour (broken up however you please, wheat, soy, white, etc.)
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
Teaspoon Salt
Teaspoon Baking Soda

*Note:  Pear or Apple Sauce Can be substituted for Vegetable/Canola Oil to cut fat.


Instructions

In a bowl, mix milk, lemon juice, vanilla paste and let sit for 10 minutes
In a separate bowl, mix egg, sugar, pear sauce and oil.
In yet another bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, salt and baking soda
Mix the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture, alternating with the milk mixture.
Cut Rhubarb and Strawberries
Fold rhubarb, strawberries and walnuts into batter.
Preheat Oven to 325
Spray two bread pans and add batter
Topping Ingredients
Tablespoon Butter
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Topping Instructions

Melt Butter, add sugar and cinnamon and mix.

Spread topping on top of batter and bake for 45 minutes.


Music:  Ben Harper - Strawberry Fields Forever


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love rhubarb. I have a rhubarb recipe from a great aunt that I think I'll be bringing out soon.