Sunday, March 16, 2008

Warm your Hearts with some Chili

I have a fatal weakness for veggie chili.  I guess you might call me a connoisseur of sorts.  So I broke out the 1960s retro cooking pot and made me some chili.  With the aid of English teacher extraordinaire, Cheryl Irving, for the basic recipe, I added my own zest, and made what I think is a delicious chili.  I used a small can of stewed tomatoes and a small can of kidney beans, and it easily fed two for dinner with some leftover for the next day's lunch.

Ingredients:
1 Small Can of Stewed Tomatoes
1 Small Can of Kidney Beans
Olive Oil
2 Celery Stalks
2 Carrots
1 Bell Pepper
A Few Cloves of Garlic
Basil
2 Mushrooms (Shitaki)
2 Bay Leaves
Chili Powder
Cumin
Tabasco
Orange Juice


Instructions:
Chop veggies, however way you please.  I used my Alaskan Wedge Chopper (totally made up the name, but it is from Alaska).  Heat your stove and add in two swirls of olive oil.  When the pot is warm add the veggies and sauté.  Drain the kidney beans and after a few minutes add the stewed tomatoes and the beans.  Stir... Add in the following ingredients to taste:  Chili powder, cumin, tabasco and orange juice.  I used about 5 shakes of chili powder, 3 pinches of cumin, a swirl of tabasco and a splash of orange juice.  I also added in around 5 basil leaves and two bay leaves  It had a kick to it, just the way I like it.  Let the pot simmer on low heat until served.  The great thing about chili is that proportions have little effect on overall taste.  It is a perfectly customizable dish.  Enjoy!



Music:  John Legend, Anthony Hamilton and Marvin Gaye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"wedge chopper" that is rather original!! It's an ulu - a tool that's been around for at least 3,500 years.