Monday, May 19, 2008

Spanish Rice: Another Recipe from my Great Grandmother's Bible


I opened my email this weekend and found in the inbox a letter from my grandmother, my nommie.  This usually means one of two things:  that she is sending me a chain letter of some sort, most of which, I am sorry to say, I do not read...or, she is alerting me to some new 21st century danger in the most simple and effective way possible, "Dear Benny, I heard STDs are on the rise XOXO Nommie."   But...to my pleasant surprise, my Nommie had called to rave about my blog, more specifically my great grandmother's rhubarb bread.  She told me that she had another recipe from my nanny's bible, spanish rice, and would love to make it with me.  So that is what we did today...we made spicy spanish rice.


Ingredients

1 Cup Brown Rice
5-6 Swirls Olive Oil
4 Small Onions
2 Cans diced tomatoes, drained (tomato jalepeno mix was used)
2 Bell Pepper
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Teaspoons Paprika
Salt and Pepper to Taste
2 Cups Waters

Instructions

Chop vegetables.  Heat oil in a pan.  Add rice, onions and garlic.  Heat for 10 minutes.  Add tomatoes, peppers, paprika, salt and pepper.  Add water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, and cover for 45 minutes to 1 hour.


Music:  Tony Bennett (Nommie insisted on the music choice)

7 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Hi Ben! Your Nommie sounds so cute! How wonderful you two can have fun cooking in the kitchen! :)
Just wanted to let you know that I featured your blog in The Finest Foodies Friday post this week! :)

Núria said...

Hola Benny! I'm from Spain and saw your link at Jenn's blog. Nice to meet you!!! It shocked me to see that your recipe was about Spanish rice :D Good job!!!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Hey Ben! I'm very impressed with your blog. And your pictures, too! You've got a great start with your recipes. If you need any help with your project, just let us (your new foodie friends) know! I'm going to add you to my favorites list!

Oh! And I'm originally from Philly too.

Lyra said...

Hi Ben, as a graduate student in Washington DC, I can tell you that there are a lot of people out there both your age and much older who don't have a clue how to cook anything. I think these days everyone eats out. Its really awesome that you are learning to cook before you leave home, I personally think it is a very important part of being independent, because if you can't feed yourself, well, thats pretty sad isn't it? Plus being a good home cook is a great way to impress everyone you know.

Anyways, Ill be adding your blog to my blogroll, and trying out the rhubarb bread/cake recipe. I look forward to more posts!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Hi Ben, that rice sounds really tasty. What did you have it with? (and I am a bit in love with your Nommie. I think you should introduce her to snopes.com so she knows which of the modern world's horrors she really needs to warn you about).

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers are lovely aren´t they?
I really loved your great grandmother´s recipe, it looks delish.

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)